I spent the last ten days traveling around Europe. The first five days I was in Seville, Spain and the rest of the trip I was in Madrid, Amsterdam, and Frankfurt. It was a great trip for a bunch of reasons. Here is my top 6:
6. The Green Bay Packers. Green Bay was playing Atlanta on Saturday night in the states. A 2 am start time in Madrid. I watched the entire game. I had a good feeling about the game when I went out for dinner with Trek Spain and Carmon showed up in a Green Bay Green Jacket.
5. Joe Siefkes Flamenco Dancing! Joe is the CFO at Trek and one of the BEST people I have ever known. Joe is a bean counter but he can also be a lot of fun. One night in Seville, we visited the Flamenco Dancing Hall of Fame. During our visit, we received a Flamenco lesson. Yours truly bailed half way through the lesson and became the camera man.
4. Bike Riding Around Seville. Seville is one of the great bike cities of the world. They have developed a good bike system and one night we took around 25 people on a 20 mile ride around the city. An absolutely beautiful place and there is no better way to see a city than by bike. I can still remember when I was in high school and attended my sister’s graduation in Washington DC. I took a ride at midnight around the city on my bike and it was awesome. When I was in school in Boston, there were some late nights that I would get on my bike and ride downtown to see the more historic sites. Nothing better than a good night ride.
3. Road Ride in the Hills Outside of Madrid. On Saturday, I went on a 50 mile ride with a group from Trek Spain. Scenery was great, some awesome climbs, and great conversation. At the end of the ride we had cold beer and tapas. Not so bad.
2. Out on the Town in Madrid With Gonzalo. Gonzalo is the Manager of Trek Spain and he is one of the BEST people you will ever meet. He runs a great office and is just a very good person. We had a great night out including a stop at a Madrid brew house that had a tapper in the middle of each table. I had never seen this before and I must admit that I think it is a very fine idea.
1. Bob Burns Singing. Bob is the General Counsel at Trek and he is a Rockstar. Apparently, not only is Bob a great lawyer, but he is also an incredible singer. One night out on the town, Bob took it upon himself to provide the entertainment for the group.