Last weekend was my favorite ride of the year, the Trek 100. This was the 22nd annual event benefiting the MACC fund, a great organization that champions the fight against childhood cancer. Over the last 22 years Trek has raised over $10 million to help this great cause. A few reasons why I think this is one of the BEST rides in the country:
1. The ride starts at Trek!
2. The University of Wisconsin marching band is always on hand to send the riders off.
3. The route is designed so that there is very little traffic. I counted less than 20 cars in 100 miles!
4. The rest stops are the BEST. A few examples: A stop with bratwurst and a polka band. Or the stop with bread pudding and ribs. Or, how about the Hawaiian themed-stop featuring piles of fruit? This year they added a chocolate fountain.
5. The finish party rocks. Great music, great fun, great food, and the BEST Wisconsin beer from Capital Brewery.
6. The Trek 100 has raised over $10 million since it started 22 years ago, when the cure rate for childhood cancer was 35%. Today it is 80%. We have made a difference.
A new twist to the Trek 100 this year is a special Trek 100 online auction. There are awesome items including a VIP trip to the 2012 Tour of California, a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 or Superfly Elite with a tour of Trek and our mtb trail network, and a three-day stay at my house in Santa Barbara with bikes, and a guide supplied for your stay.